Friday, July 13, 2007

My Work Space

I know it doesn't look like much, but to me this is a little slice of heaven! I have a workbench in the garage where I make all my beads. I generally work at the torch in the early morning before it gets too hot.

If you're not familiar with lampwork bead making, here's a quick introduction.

All lampwork beads begin as glass rods. The rods are heated with a torch and wound onto a mandrel, which is a sturdy metal rod dipped in bead release. As glass is being added to the mandrel, different colored rods are used to make dots, patterns, etc.

Once a bead is completed it is put in a kiln for several hours until it's properly annealed (heated and cooled slowly for strength). Beads are then soaked in water and slide off the mandrels. All beads are cleaned with a little tool to take all the bead release (which is powdery and makes a mess) out of the holes.

3 comments:

Kara Hartz said...

I had no idea about lampwork. This was so interesting! Thanks for explaining the process.

Leslie said...

Thanks for sharing this!
And HEY! Thanks for putting me in a treasury! Go check out my blog sometime ;-) http://mamatrepsdesigns.blogspot.com/
Best Wishes!

Unknown said...

That was very interesting to see what is involved in making your beads.
Cori